REPORTING TO: Technical Engineering Manager
This role is based in the Connectivity manufacturing facility at Bishopstoke, Eastleigh, UK. The business provides for optical cable management and networks. Products include joint boxes, racks, “Fibre-to-the-Home” termination boxes, and pre-connectorised solutions. Working within the Telecom Process Engineering team, the main purpose of this role is to apply engineering solutions to support, improve and cost-reduce the Connectivity assembly and injection moulding operations.
Key responsibilities of the role will be to:
- Create and update process methods and build instructions to:
ensure safe and efficient operations clearly communicate the design and manufacturing intent to the shop-floor to ensure products comply with customer requirements
- Minimize costs by implementing and improving new and existing manufacturing processes
- Develop alternative manufacturing processes to facilitate the introduction of new products and materials
- Assist training of new operators in working methods such as fibre handling and assembly, to support (a) and (b) above
- Check BOMS (Bill of Materials), routings and manufacturing times, in SAP, particularly for new products and processes
- Assist the Quality function in determining appropriate levels and methods of inspection
- Support the “Design to Cost” activities (reducing cost through design changes)
- Determine and document process parameters for equipment such as injection moulding machines
- Assist the R & D function to produce and optimize prototypes
- Specify, purchase and supply, jigs, fixings, tools and assembly aids
- Maintain a register of injection moulding tools to log condition, status and location etc
- Prepare and issue Process Engineering trial reports
- Minimize sources of waste
Candidates will ideally be educated to HNC level or above in an Engineering/Technical discipline. They will also have good problem-solving skills, have a hands-on approach to work, and demonstrate a “continuous improvement” attitude. A working knowledge of manufacturing methodologies such as Kaizen, 6S, and SMED would be advantageous.
The successful candidate will be able to interpret technical engineering drawings. They will be proficient in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
As a strong team player with excellent communication and inter-personal skills, the job holder will have the drive and determination to achieve individual, team and department objectives.
This position benefits from a flexible working arrangement; 25 days holiday in addition to Bank Holidays; a health cash plan scheme; share purchase scheme in addition to other benefits.
This role is based in our offices near the Eastleigh town centre. The address is Prysmian Cables & Systems Limited, Chickenhall Lane, Eastleigh, SO50 6YU. There are good transport links to Eastleigh and the site is approximately 15 minutes walk from the railway station. We are able to offer free car parking next to our offices.
Prysmian is an Equal Opportunities Employer
Prysmian Group, as an Equal Opportunity Employer, aims to attract and recruit individuals with diverse backgrounds, skills and abilities, who will enhance the quality of service and contribute to the Group’s success. Prysmian Group is committed to the development of an organization that prioritizes talent, where people feel respected, appreciated and free to fully express their human potential. Prysmian Group strongly believes that diversity drives meritocracy and brings significant value at all levels of the organization, increases the possibility of capturing market opportunities and maximizing value for our customers and shareholders. Prysmian Group bases its decisions on principles of equality, with evaluations based on the type of position and with a focus on best practices so individuals succeed based on their efforts and skills and their alignment with applicable job requirements.
Line Mangers, Hiring Managers, HR Corporate and HR Local are responsible for ensuring that diversity and inclusion are respected during the recruiting process. Unconscious bias and stereotypes must not influence our selection processes. We look for the best candidates and for the real value they can bring into the organization. We value meritocracy. We value diversity. We turn off our bias. All persons shall have the opportunity to be considered for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, military service and veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. Prysmian will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to the known physical or mental limitations of a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business.
Your application data will be treated according to our Data Protection Policy. If you believe you require assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please let us know.